Old 24-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Mark Hill

Default [IBC] Why Mulch ??

Thanks for the encouragement Nina.
Most of my trees are maples (Bloodgood), Hinoki Cyprus, junipers (Chinensis)
or pines (Mugho).
I assume these critters will withstand the cold here in central PA.
I'll reluctantly bury/mulch them this weekend.
:-(

I have a couple of Ficus that'll remain indoors over the winter in well
light, south facing windows.
I also have a large Elm (Ulmus Parvafolia ??) that I'm keeping inside
because I was forced to repot it in the late summer.
It was dropping yellow leaves like crazy. When I finally checked the roots
in September, I found that a great deal of the roots where rotting because
of the poor soil, drainage and over watering. Since repotting, it has
produced lots of new leaves that seem very happy. I haven't seen a yellow
leaf since. I'm reluctant to let it suffer through a winter because of the
late repotting, weak root system and lack of leaves.

Thanks for your continued help.
Mark