Old 24-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Dioscorea batatas (hardy Yam)

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in news:bpt755$jrr$1
@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk:

I will report on Oxalis tuberosum in due course.

Oh good, that's another I'd been vaguely thinking about. If it survives
Cambridge it should have no problems here, unless it likes long days (north
side of a hill is bad for day length...)

Tropaeolum tuberosum - anyone tried that, while we are on the subject of
Andean roots?

Rareplants.co.uk seems to think it is hardy, and it certainly looks
decorative.

I don't know if I could bear to dig it up just to eat the roots unless they
are particularly tasty though! Though presumably the rest is edible like
nasturtians too.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill