Old 24-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Kay Easton

Default Hippeastrum Papilio / Butterfly Amaryllis

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
I've just acquired one of these. It was a bare bulb when I got it a week or
so ago, and is now sending up new leaves.

However, I vaguely recollect that the Amaryllis bulb I had as a child (that
one had deep red flowers, I forget the variety) had quite strong thick
green leaves.

I have this plant near a north-facing window (though not on the sill, as
it's too narrow), and the new leaves are quite a pale green, with a slight
reddish flush at the tips, and seem thinner than I remember.

How long are they? ISTR they come through pale and colour up as they hit
the light.

I'm a bit concerned by the pale leaves that it might not be getting enough
light. Should I move it to a south-facing windowsill?

I grow mine on S facing - more light = shorter flowering stem - sturdy
15 inches as opposed to lanky 2.5 feet.

If you've got one, what do the leaves look like?

colour and texture of bluebell leaves, over an inch wide.
Flower can appear before or after leaves, looks like leaf bud to begin
with but with a vertical groove.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: