Old 24-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Dioscorea batatas (hardy Yam)

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes:
| (Nick Maclaren) wrote in news:bpt755$jrr$1
| @pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk:
|
| I will report on Oxalis tuberosum in due course.
|
| Oh good, that's another I'd been vaguely thinking about. If it survives
| Cambridge it should have no problems here, unless it likes long days (north
| side of a hill is bad for day length...)
|
| Tropaeolum tuberosum - anyone tried that, while we are on the subject of
| Andean roots?

Not for eating.

| Rareplants.co.uk seems to think it is hardy, and it certainly looks
| decorative.

It isn't, not at all, and it is, very! Its tubers grow just under
the surface, and cannot stand being frosted. I grew it when we were
getting real winters, and it was wiped out when I forgot to dig it
up in time. You would dig them up when it has died down, incidentally.

| I don't know if I could bear to dig it up just to eat the roots unless they
| are particularly tasty though! Though presumably the rest is edible like
| nasturtians too.

Dunno. I don't know much about that family. I suggest having a
go with the tubers, as it grows well and is a decorative and
non-invasive climber. It didn't thrive in our dry summers, but
still produced a fair number of tubers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.