Old 24-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Why Mulch ??

As flip as I was yesterday about living in California,
we do, every 7-10 years or so get what is called a
killer frost in the SF Bay area. Huge trees
established in the ground freeze so hard the bark pops
off. Problem is that we don't always know which
frosts will be the killer ones. I think it is the
sudden shock of these frosts that does plants in.
There is no gradual chilling process, just the shock
of sudden freze.

For years I would run out in the dark of a freezing
night to try to put a sheet over the manderin orange
tree in the ground. It was easy at first, but now
that it is 10-12 feet high, I haven't had the help or
the energy to do this and the tree has survived. It
is sourrounded by fence and is near the house.
Perhaps that area never gets that cold.

But I have lost Californina oakbonsai to killer
frosts. My bonfire maples do fine. Much of my
somewhat delicate stuff is under the shade cloth which
perserves a bit of warmth, but succulents will go
mushy there. Some of the succlunts and the citrus go
in the front porch where I can throw a sheet over them
if necessary.

I can't seem to grow protea here beause they don't
last more than a few years without getting killed by
frost. I had a small Texas ebony for about 7 years
before the frost got it.

Unfortunately the frosts come when I am sort of in
hibernation and don't have all my senses active (some
would argue that I seldom do).

Kitsune Miko

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++