Old 24-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Dioscorea batatas (hardy Yam)

On 24 Nov 2003 15:12:37 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I will report on Oxalis tuberosum in due course.

I can give an early report. You can buy "oca" in Vancouver at one
of the high end grocery places catering to the urban more-money-
than-is-good-for-them types. A friend bought some and gave me a
couple of pots, which I passed on to other friends with better
growing conditions.

One of the recipients reported back a couple of weeks ago that
hers had formed tubers and that she'd eaten some. She was
delighted with them: like potatos with a lemon-y taste.

I believe oca only forms tubers in the late summer or fall, as
the days shorten, so dig it as late as you can.

But on the other hand it comes from a relatively low latitude
(but high altitude) so it may respond to only a slight shortening
in day length.