Old 24-11-2003, 10:00 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Why Mulch ??

Mark:
If you are going to dig a hole, you might want to put a few inches of
pebbles in the bottom for drainage. The mulch could stay too wet. I do
suggest that you put in long bamboo skewers into the root ball halfway
between the trunk and the edge of the pot. When you mulch the bamboo
skewer should stick out above the mulch. Pull the skewer out on a
weekly basis. If the dirty end is wet, then you know not to water...
The skewer may freeze into the rootball in the pot. They definitely do
not need watering. Figure that you might have to water several times
during the winter and maybe not at all. That's why you check!!! 8-)

Carl L. Rosner

Mark Hill wrote:

Thanks all for your advice and encouragement.

I'll dig and mulch my trees this weekend, in a spot that won't get much
sunshine or wind.

Another question ..... How about drainage ??
My soil is rather clay like.
Puddles form in driving rain which slowly drains away.
Should I dig a deeper hole and put a layer of mulch below the pots, put the
pots/trees in the hole then mulch over the pot up to the first branch?

I'm assuming if they're covered in snow, they'll be frozen and won't require
water ..... right ??

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++