Old 24-11-2003, 10:00 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Why Mulch ??

Mark Hill wrote:

Thanks all for your advice and encouragement.

I'll dig and mulch my trees this weekend, in a spot that won't get much
sunshine or wind.

Another question ..... How about drainage ??

Not an issue once things are frozen.

My soil is rather clay like.
Puddles form in driving rain which slowly drains away.
Should I dig a deeper hole and put a layer of mulch below the pots, put the
pots/trees in the hole then mulch over the pot up to the first branch?

I wouldn't go to the trouble.

I'm assuming if they're covered in snow, they'll be frozen and won't require
water ..... right ??

Yep.

Mark
It's going to be difficult looking at those snow mounds, knowing my "babies"
are buried beneath.
Am I allowed to peek ??

Don't give in to the temptation to mess with them once they're locked in for the
winter. If they're buried in snow the snow will crystalize after some time and you
will risk breaking branches if you mess around. After my first winter I couldn't
resist getting my trees out as early as possible, and I broke a pot in addition to
some branches in trying to wrestle them free from the snow. It isn't worth it.

Just relax, get a few tropicals to work on during the winter, and wait.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++