Old 24-11-2003, 11:21 PM
martin

Default OT. new antispam laws in the US

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:09:45 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , martin
writes

Some ISPs have software that identifies 99.999% of spam.
The ISP inserts ***SPAM*** in front of the subject. On your PC you set
up a filter to either store ***SPAM*** messages in a folder, until you
are confident that they don't mark good messages as spam. Later if you
like you can filter ***SPAM***messages to be deleted directly. At work
all SPAM is removed before we see it, so we have no way of knowing if
we sometimes lose messages.

Some ISPs seem a bit reluctant to publicise this option. I pay a euro
a month extra for it.

There's free software available that will do the same - try a google
search on Popfile. It sorts into spam, probably spam, and genuine, based
on the content of the email and the frequency of various words, you can
re-classify anything that it categorises wrongly, and it learns from
that and constantly improves its performance.

I find it easier to let my ISP do the job.
--
Martin