Old 25-11-2003, 12:33 AM
RichToyBox

Default Pond level DROPS after heavy rain?

Mike,

Could you put a stone curb along the edge of the patio to raise the edge and
divert the runoff of the patio away from the pond?

You could put rock in the pond, but I am one of the no rocks in my pond, now
or ever. Rocks can cause real problems for cleaning a pond and give
anaerobic bacteria good places to work on the debris that builds up between
the rocks, giving off hydrogen sulfide which is very toxic to the fish.
Flat slates laid on the bottom would provide the weight, but not the number
of places for the mulm.
--
RichToyBox

"Mike Patterson" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:02:11 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

It is very possible that water is flowing under the liner, lifting the

liner
for a period of time and then percolating out, allowing the liner to

settle
back down, making the water level go down. There have been a number of
people that have had problems with the liner floating up out of the hole,
causing a large bubble under the liner. Your soil sounds like it is more
permeable than theirs. Try raising the ground level around the high side

of
the pond to divert the water away from the pond. That might keep the

water
level from rising and then falling back down.

Ah-ha, there's something I hadn't thought of, and might very well be
the answer given the way the ground around the pond is configured.

I've now dug a drainage ditch about 30' uphill from the pond to
prevent runoff getting in and silting up the pond (which also happened
after the big rain).

Changing the ground level immediately uphill from the pond would be a
real pain as there is a stone patio there, do you think I could just
put a layer of rounded pea gravel on the bottom to prevent the bubble
from floating the liner up?

Thanks!
Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

The question isn't "are there weapons of mass destruction?",
the question is "who has them now?"

http://www.strategypage.com/iraqwar/...ny/default.asp
http://www.strategypage.com/iraqwar/iraqweaponsgap.asp