Old 25-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Mike Patterson

Default Pond level DROPS after heavy rain?

Thanks! Appreciate the thoughts.

I plan to place a few large rounded stones in the bottom and dig a
shallow trench next to the pond. Hopefully the double-whammy approach
will do the trick.

Won't know if it worked until the next flood!
Mike

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:21:23 -0800, "Lydia"
wrote:

Mike,
I'm sorry I don't yet have any advice to help you, but thought I'd just
let you know that I feel your pain. I have the same situation. The liner
of my pond wraps up and over a layer of rocks that are anchoring it - sounds
like yours. Mine's brand new and we just finished it before the winter
rains started here in the Pacific Northwest. And as soon as the rain DID
start, the liner bubbled waaaaay up and I was out there every night in the
rain with a little pump trying to fish a garden hose down under the liner
and pump out the water from underneath. That was no fun so for now, we've
put 3 huge rocks at the bottom and 8, 2x16 patio bricks around the 1foot
deep shelf to hold the liner down. That seems to be working fairly well,
although the liner still puffs a little on the vertical slant from the 1foot
shelf down to the bottom.

We also edged the high edge of the pond with that plastic garden edging
stuff that's about 4 inches wide in an effort to get the runoff from the
upper part of the yard to go around the pond rather than under it. But I'm
afraid of taking the bricks out to see if that made a difference. I don't
like pumping out the water from underneath the liner and I'm afraid that the
shelf is in danger of being ruined when the water collects under there and
swishes dirt around.

When summer returns my husband and I think we're in for more digging to
make some kind of drainage trench near or around the dang thing.

Anyway, it sounds like yours drains a lot quicker than ours so maybe you'll
have an easier time dealing with it. Good luck to you and please post if
you find a good solution!

Lydia

"Mike Patterson" wrote in
message news
On 23 Nov 2003 22:10:15 -0800, (Offbreed)
wrote:

Mike Patterson wrote in

message . ..
I have a 1200 US Gallon pond with an overflow spillway at one end.

If I fill it up, it seems to hold it's level fine, but after a really
heavy rain (we got about 3 inches in 4 hours a couple days ago), the
water level after the rain was about 3-4 inches LOW.

Over fill and watch around the edges. I'll wager that part of the
sides is not properly supported and the extra water causes the
membrane to flop down. Once the water level drops enough, the membrane
stiffness makes it come back up where it belongs, and you have less
water than before.

Thanks for the idea, but I think that isn't it this time, as the liner
wraps up & over the edges of the pond and are held with large stones
all 'way around.

Thanks
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

The question isn't "are there weapons of mass destruction?",
the question is "who has them now?"

http://www.strategypage.com/iraqwar/...ny/default.asp
http://www.strategypage.com/iraqwar/iraqweaponsgap.asp