Old 25-11-2003, 02:04 PM
animaux

Default Cold water

Yeah, well, the cold didn't stop them from eating. We slowed their food way
down, but they are hand fed and come up for their food, one at a time as normal!
It's funny how goldfish can actually become pets. These four fish actually have
personalities. I hope you now don't assume I'm a nut, but I just adore all
animal life.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:23:04 -0500, "Sam Hopkins"
opined:

Goldfish are cold water fish and are perfectly fine at 45 degrees. I
wouldn't waste your electricity trying to raise the pond temp. Now if your
pond was in danger of freezing completely then I would heat it.

Sam

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
Well, I bought a heater for the pond. The pond is a combined 165 gallons

with
four 12" comets. The water dropped to 45oF last night, not much warmer

today.
We are pretty cold for Texas.

Anyway, the fish are huddling at the bottom, moving very little, but look

fine.

Here is the question:

Would the pond stay a bit warmer if we do two things; remove the water

globe
feature, and stop the waterfall feature from the other pond. By the other

pond,
I mean the 30 gallon part where the water drips into the 135 gallon tank.

It
was my thought that putting the water into the air via the water globe

(bell or
whatever they call it) the warmth is being totally lost in the cold air.

I just want what's best for the fish.