Old 25-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Mark Hill

Default [IBC] Christmas (holiday) bonsai -- warning (was: In need of bonsai Trees, etc.)

Thanks Jim .... this is exactly how I got started.

Last year my kids bought me a cute little juniper from the local *Mart.
Fortunately I stumbled across this excellent group within days, and had the
pebbles chipped out, the soil replaced and I'm proud to announce my juniper
is growing like crazy!
I understand I'm the exception.
I routinely visit *Mart and look in horror at the rows of the poor little
mallsai that haven't seen water in weeks, and pity the poor recipient of
these well intentioned gifts.
I've tried to encourage the *Mart employees to water these poor little
trees, but they couldn't care less. Their job is to sell them, not keep them
alive.

I think the best gift one could give a potential bonsai-ist is an
introductory class at a local club. During the past year I've taken a dozen
classes from Jim Doyle and I'm well on my way to an enjoyable hobby.

Thanks to everyone on this list for your encouragement and guidance.

Mark Hill - Harrisburg PA - Zone 6
(the proud owner of 20 trees!)