Old 25-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Mark

Default Wintering over artichokes

(Mark) wrote in message . com...
I have raised 4 artichoke plants to a size about 2 to 3 feet across,
from leaf tip to leaf tip. This was a strain that had the possibility
of maturing in one long growing season, or taking the standard 2 years
to grow mature enough to bear fruit.

Here's my question: The winters here (zone 6) rarely get below 0
degrees (F)... Lots of winters, the temp never dips below the low 20s
or high teens. I hope (fingers crossed) that these temps are "high"
enough so these plants will survive and go on to mature next year.

In order to winter them over, should I cut them back before I lay
on a thick cover of straw, or should I just cover them as is, leaves
and all?

Thanks for any help.

Mark

P.S. I'm gardening in raised beds, with a fairly good mix of topsoil
to compost. Is there any particular additions/fertilizers that
artichokes really "like"?

Well, I cut them all back to a ball about 8" across. I mulched them
heavily with straw and leaves.

I guess I'll let you all know in about 4-5 months if they survived the
winter.

If this works, I'll try to continue this process and keep them going
as perennials. (Fat chance, but it don't hurt to dream, does it?)

Mark