Old 26-11-2003, 12:32 AM
NetMax

Default how long do fishtanks last?

snip
Hello all,

First post to the group, here goes...

After reading this thread I took a look at my 75 gallon (Perfecto)
I bought from PetSmart back in March of this year.
I can see bubbles on the right side/edge of the tank, and there are
what appears to be channels on the left side almost from
top to bottom.

This has me a bit worried, is this normal?
What should I do with the tank if it's not safe?
There was a small piece of paper indicating that
the tank was assembled Jan. 2003.

I'm planning on taking a trip over to PetSmart to look at
some of the larger tanks there.

Here's a pic from the left side of the tank.
http://home.comcast.net/~harrisal74/...ss/Glass_L.jpg

Pic of the tank.
http://home.comcast.net/~harrisal74/...Glass/tank.jpg

Alex

Nice tank Alex. Sorry for the delay. I suggest you trim your pictures
down in size (or compress them). I'm not familiar with the Perfecto
tanks, so I can't say if that's what their siliconing normally looks
like. My normal tanks look better than that, and the one the blew looked
far worse. ymmv

Every bubble or air channel decreases the bonding strength, but how much
bubbling it takes for it to have any significance, I can't say. I don't
think you're in any immediate danger though. I'd just keep an eye on it
to see if it worsens. It's not unusual for properly constructed tanks to
last over 20 years.

NetMax