Old 26-11-2003, 06:03 AM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] new die grinder

Hi Dale.

You advised not using a 1/8" collet with a 1/4" die grinder with the caveat:
... that's a lot of power to stick a 1/8" shaft into.
You are better off to also own a "dremel-type"
1/8" collet carver with a flex shaft
for finer work.

I wonder about die grinders being over-powered. The speed of the smaller
shaft's smaller head is less than the speed of a larger head-- in fact, the
1/8" Dremel must run "faster" in RPM than the 1/4" tool head for equivalent
cutting edge speed. Power, of course, is a measure of torque rather than
speed. Do you find a powerful tool wrenches the shafts? I've never seen
that with my Foredom, which has a flexible shaft like the Dremel but also
powers bits with both 1/4" & 1/8" shafts. I am aware that shafts are
designed to break if a bit gets caught in material or a safety glove's mesh,
but shaft breakage is rare under normal use.

I never use my foredom since it's not as
handy to move around as the die grinder.

I've used a variety of die grinders as well as a lathe routers in addition
to the Foredom. None are as good for detailed power carving than the light
flexible narrow shaft. It is a breeze to set up-- I use a wrought iron
tripod that was intended for a lamp base. Michael Persiano uses an iron
flower pot hanger with its primary shaft stuck in the ground and a secondary
shaft near the bottom is stomped into the ground for stability. The motors
are hanging beside you at ~ stomach height with a long flexible shaft for
reaching. Most die grinders are excellent for removing lots of wood,
especially with a large diameter head with outside burrs. You should slow
the speed and cut in the direction of the grain to prevent burning or
chipping. Chipping is easier to prevent with a tool that has a reverse
motor.

Makita makes a really tough, beefy die
grinder model with aluminum case. Nicer,
but more, than the usual blue plastic model.

I've seen this model but not used it. The best encased tool I've seen for
getting into close spaces (other than a flexible shaft) was a lathe router
Dan Barton owns-- it has a very exposed end such that its body seldom comes
in contact with the tree to be carved. Some die grinders with boxy ends are
poorly designed for bonsai use. Dan encouraged trying a router bit for
carving in his lathe router.

Rather than buying a beefier tool, I'd recommend purchasing a superior
carving bit. The Foredom Red/Coarse Typhoon Series bits align the tungsten
carbide burrs so that the bit does not fill readily with wood (requiring
heavy wire brushing to clean). They make the job cleaner and faster while
cutting superbly. They also are available in 1/8" shaft sizes if you need a
little more cutting power with a Dremel. I've carved daiza with a single
speed Dremel clone before purchasing the Foredom, and it dioes a GREAT job
if not pressed too hard and allowed considerable time to cool.

I've not used the AutoMach or Arbortech reciprocating tools that Dale has,
but I have borrowed a bonsai club friends' Ryobi reciprocal carver, which
does a good job of carving flat surfaces such as the waste wood between feet
on a daiza bottom. It is a great tool for doing what it does, but is not as
flexible for carving in a variety of angles as a rotating tool.

Dave will use a pull gravure for final carving of his trees, so he will not
need fine power carving. If I didn't carve daiza occasionally, I couldn't
justify the expense of a Foredom just to do bonsai carving. The options
are worth considering.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

From: "Chris Cochrane"

it
doesn't include variable speed control (though the Foredom foot-pedal

will
work fine and leave your hands free) and it doesn't include an 1/8"

collet
as well as a 1/4" collet for accommodating a wider selection of bits.

Dave,
You can get a router bit speed control for around $30ish dollars that die
grinder will plug into and you can slow it way down if you like.
Yes, it does come with a 1/8" collet which is removed for the 1/4", at

least
all the ones I've sold ( same model) did. But, like I said before, that's

lot of power to stick a 1/8" shaft into. You are better off to also own a
"dremel-type" 1/8" collet carver with a flex shaft for finer work.
As for the reciprocating models. I've had an automach since they came out
and rarely use it. There IS a reciprocating chisel attached to a right

angle
grinder that is sold by Arbortech that I carry that will just eat the
automach alive! You have the power of a right angle grinder behind it
instead of a "dremelish" power behind it! Just my opinions. I seem to have
accumulated about everything over the years but what actually gets used
regularly is in a small group. I never use my foredom since it's not as
handy to move around as the die grinder.

While on die grinders, Makita makes a really tough, beefy die grinder

model
with aluminum case. Nicer, but more, than the usual blue plastic model.

You
can order these but rarely see them in stores since the are more

expensive.
You might want to check them out.
Dale

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++