Old 26-11-2003, 07:03 AM
Shell

Default New Orchids

Certain color combinations and blooms that look what I call messy or busy,
like fabric with too much pattern, and anything that looks like a clown face
can stay at the store

Shell

"Wendy" wrote in message
I like them all......ugly, hairy, bumpy, smelly, all the colours & shapes.
Orchids
have the most amazing flowers of any plant.
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Part of me feels like I ought to defend long-lasting Phals: I find their
enduring beauty somewhat surreal and awe-inspiring. And I feel guilty

over
not being appreciative enough of my Phal Zuma Confection that bloomed

for
five months, most of it without changing. But alas, I too prefered

activity.
However, even among Phals and Dtps some are more active than others: I
really appreciate sequential bloomers. My very favorite a semi-peloric

Dtps
Talitha Gem has been blooming for four months, but it looks completely
different now than it did to begin with! At first it had a spike going
straight up with up to 15 flowers at once. Then its older flowers

started
falling off as new ones opened, and its like a clump of flowers moving
steadily further toward the window ... up the spike, then down (as the

spike
curved under its own weight), now up again. I keep counting and

recounting
how many flowers it lost, how many are currently in bloom and how many

new
buds are forming ... no, it's not done yet forming new buds, it's up to

total of 20 former flowers, 7 currently in bloom, and at least 6 buds
remaining, and about 4 feet of spike. I have not had a boring week with

this
plant. :-)

So even a Phal or Dtps can be very exiting.

Joanna

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message

As for longevity, my Phals provide a long lasting background for more
transient flowers. Recently, I cut off two or three old, but still

blooming
spikes on Phals because the plants were throwing off new spikes and

needed
bit of a rest.

Bottom line: I think we are fickle, us orchid growers. There must be
people who grow only certain types of orchids, but I imagine that most

of
us
like variety. And, we're suckers for something new!