Old 26-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Fito

Default Horse in compost pile?

"Tom J" wrote in message

"John Bachman" wrote in message
Hi have a large collection of leaves in which I have mixed lime, cow
manure and green waste but I have more leaves than anything. I can
get all the horse manure I want, sawdust bedding. Does anyone have
any experience with horse in compost?

Just to add my 2 cents. I would only use horse stable cleanings if they

had
already gone through the heat and are black looking. If you start adding
fresh horse stable cleanings to your compost pile on your property, you'll
introduce more weeds than you ever care to have.

Following those rules, I've hauled many loads of "black gold" horse stable
cleanings and put on my garden, and they all had hundreds of earthworms
running all through them. That's when you know you have good horse stable
cleanings.

Tom J

Tom, can you please describe the area where you got your manure? I also
have an unlimited supply and havent seen any worms. I get mine from a
"mountain" that steams when I poke through it.

Fito