Old 26-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Starlord

Default Morning Glory

And where I live ( High Mojave Desert ) there is no such thing as an invasive
plant out here, it the summer dry heat doesn't kill it, the cold sometimes
freezing winter will. Or lack of water too.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"Tom J" wrote in message

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

There is such a hue and cry about invasives these days (and rightly so,

in
many situations) but it is important not to tar all plants with the same
brush. Common names are extremely misleading, as many plants with widely
different habits can be included under the same common name. And not all
invasives will act the same in different climates and locations -

invasives
are VERY regional in nature and it is important to make that note when
referring to them.

okay, off my soap box now :-))

pam - gardengal

That's what the nursery told my wife about the trumpet vine she brought

home,
that it was not invasive in our location and would stay put. NOT!! I

don't do
vines of any name, horticultural or otherwise, anymore

Tom J
north of Atlanta GA and still trying to eradicate that vine after 5 years

Tom, there is a world of difference between "aggressive" and "invasive". An
invasive plant is typically an exotic that has naturalized itself to the
extent that it will out-compete native species for space, moisture and
nutrients and generally one that will self-seed with abandon. An aggressive
plant is one that exhibits thuggish behavior - spreading rampantly
throughout the garden or in the case of the trumpet vine, sending up shoots
at considerable distance from the mother plant - but typically does not
self-seed prolifically or spread outside the garden to native areas.

FWIW, there are many vines that are extremely well-behaved garden
inhabitants - clematis probably top the list, but even some of those can be
invasive AND aggressive as well IN THE PROPER SITUATION. It is merely a
matter of choosing the correct plant for the correct situation and knowing
its habits. And I have been attempting to rid my garden of trumpet vine for
several years as well. While my resident hummer loved it, I did not
appreciate it popping up wherever it felt like, even through the pavers of
my patio!

pam - gardengal

---