Old 26-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Robert

Default sowing in tubes

: On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:42:13 -0000, "Sue da Nimm"
: . wrote:
:
::
:: "John Towill" wrote in message
:: .. .
:::
::: I intend sowing into carboard tubes this spring, and would like a
::: little advice.
::: First can I plant on with tube, or should I slide the plant out?
:: We plant our sweet peas and runner beans in cardboard tubes. The
:: sweet peas go straight into the ground in the tube and always
:: thrive. We peel the card off the runners though, as we had one poor
:: year and didn't know whether it was caused by the tubes or not.
::: Secondly I am best placing the tubes in a tray of gravel and
::: watering through the gravel?
:: We stack the tubes 28 to a seed tray and tie round with string.
:: That's it.
::
:
: Same here, though I've never felt it necessary to remove the tubes.
: I do ensure though that the tubes are thoroughly wet when planting
: out, and I makes sure there's lots of compost in the planting holes.
: Perhaps this helps to speed the rotting away of the card?
:
: Regards,

I prefer to sow sweet peas, 3 to a 9" pot and plant them as a whole when
ready. I sow 6 or more runner beans in the same or bigger size pot and
carefully tease them apart and plant out singly after the first leaves have
properly developed