Old 26-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Larry Stoter

Default Trees In Ireland

wrote:

TV shows we see in the US show beautiful green Ireland, and we hear
about abundant rainfall, but see very few trees. Is the terrain,
clmate, etc. not suitable to trees or is it because animals chomp
them?

Jack

Some years ago, on holiday in Connemara, we were walking in the hills
and in came across a hill top where the thin (~3 ft) layer of peat had
been badly eroded down to the underlying gravel. In the bottom 9" or so
of the peat, and spread all over the gravel were hundreds of
well-preserved tree roots. I picked up a couple and brought them home as
pieces of natural sculpture. They looked very much like pines of some
sort and it would be fascinating to know how old they were.
--
Larry Stoter