Old 27-11-2003, 05:05 PM
K Barrett

Default Tips on blooming Dockrilila wassellii

I have one and it blooms but not as fully as a plant this size should. Its
on a piece of cork (5x5) and has fully covered the mount. I got probably 5
spikes on it last year and maybe 6 the year before. I can only assume it
responds to lack of attention. (You know my mothering skills are in the
toilet) I *think* this one may need a winter rest. Lord knows I hardly ever
fertilize. And I'm loathe to water in the winter for fear of the cold clammy
weather setting in rots. The GH gets down to 55 in the winter, so if it
needs an (in my case inadvertant) cold dry winter's wrest it certainly gets
one in my GH. Other than that I have it hanging at about eye level in the GH
so slightly higher than catt light.

I'm sorry to answer with only my anectdotal experiences. I'd prefer we get
an answer from someone who *knows* something.

K Barrett
"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
news
Does anyone have tips on how get Dockrillia wassellii to bloom? I'm
growing
mine under lights, and it gets misted heavily twice a day and has a fan

set
to low on the other side of the kitchen (5' away) blowing obliquely onto

the
growing shelf.

I get tons of root growth, nice new finger-shaped leaves that are almost

as
large as the leaves it grew while living in a greenhouse, plump leaves -

no
dessication, light green colored, but no blooms. I've had it this way now
for about 18 months.

The grower I purchased it from couldn't get any of his to bloom, either,

so
I realize it might not be the most easy to bloom species, but I figured
someone would have a comment or tip.

Thanks.

-Eric in SF