Old 27-11-2003, 05:13 PM
K Barrett

Default Tips on blooming Dockrilila wassellii

Subject: Tips on blooming Dockrilila wassellii
From: "Eric Hunt"
Date: Thu, Nov 27, 2003 2:08 AM
Does anyone have tips on how get Dockrillia wassellii to bloom? I'm

growing
mine under lights, and it gets misted heavily twice a day and has a fan

set
to low on the other side of the kitchen (5' away) blowing obliquely onto

the
growing shelf.

I get tons of root growth, nice new finger-shaped leaves that are almost

as
large as the leaves it grew while living in a greenhouse, plump leaves -

no
dessication, light green colored, but no blooms. I've had it this way now
for about 18 months.

The grower I purchased it from couldn't get any of his to bloom, either,

so
I realize it might not be the most easy to bloom species, but I figured
someone would have a comment or tip.

Thanks.

-Eric in SF

As you mention, this Australian species is easy to grow, but unless it has
ample sunshine it will not flower.
I grow mine in a cool room of the greenhouse, with a min night temp of

46F. It
is mounted and watered every day, and fed once a week with a low ration N
formula at 100ppmN/gal. I use no shade on my greenhouse, but it is on the

north
side of my home and receives little or no direct sun during Nov, Dec, and

Jan.
I am also in New England, notorious for dark, cloudy days in winter. Fall,

and
winter are the seasons when this plant must have sunshine if it will

flower. In
years with a lot of dark days, I get few or no flowers; with bright sunny

days
my plant blooms quite well.
Unless you are using supplemental high output lights, I would doubt you

will
flower this species in a window.

Wilford Neptune

Winter light, eh? Well, mine certainly gets that. Its hung at eye level but
in the least shaded portion of the GH. This isn't one of the dry winter rest
dens? Like anosmum or aggragatum?

K Barrett