Old 27-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Eric Hunt

Default Tips on blooming Dockrilila wassellii

Wilford,

Thanks a lot - you're right, I'm probably going to have to be content to
enjoy the species as a succulent instead of an orchid, and give pieces away
from time to time as it gets bigger.

I have long range plans to put an agro-sun grow light in my north-facing bay
window to serve as supplemental lighting, and if I do, I'll move the plant
into the window near the grow-light and see what I get.

-Eric in SF

"WNeptune" wrote in message
As you mention, this Australian species is easy to grow, but unless it has
ample sunshine it will not flower.
I grow mine in a cool room of the greenhouse, with a min night temp of

46F. It
is mounted and watered every day, and fed once a week with a low ration N
formula at 100ppmN/gal. I use no shade on my greenhouse, but it is on the

north
side of my home and receives little or no direct sun during Nov, Dec, and

Jan.
I am also in New England, notorious for dark, cloudy days in winter. Fall,

and
winter are the seasons when this plant must have sunshine if it will

flower. In
years with a lot of dark days, I get few or no flowers; with bright sunny

days
my plant blooms quite well.
Unless you are using supplemental high output lights, I would doubt you

will
flower this species in a window.