Old 27-11-2003, 08:22 PM
KenCo

Default Turkey Day

mad wrote:

thanksgiving day is our national holiday that commemorates the 1st harvest
the pilgrims had in the new world and how thankful they were to still be
alive. the indians are supposed to have brought food to the pilgrims thereby
showing no hostility toward them. it has become a day for us to thank God
(or if one doesn't believe, whoever provides the good life one has) for our
homes, loved ones and way of life. turkey is a native bird here, supposed to
have been one of the foods the pilgrims ate on the first thanksgiving day
and a staple of the early american diet.

FYI
not even close w/ the turkey

Plymouth plantation is on the coast, not inland, so seafood was a staple
food.
they've had many specials on FoodTV channel about the real foods served.

Venison, rabbit, eels, clams, scallops, lobsters, root veggies, corn and
a few
other delights were at the orig. feasts. interesting huh????

"Popcorn" was also introduced to the pilgrams via the Wampanoag Indians,
they put honey on it, so they invented the basics of "caramel corn" lol

The Plantation/Fort is still there and if your ever in Boston or Prov.
area
its a really cool trip along w/ seeing the orig. (replica) Mayflower.

p.s.
I live less than an hr. away from the Plymouth plantation and have been
there
many many times

ben franklin, one of our founding
fathers, wanted the turkey to be our national bird because of its economic
importance and its delicious flavor, but the american bald eagle won the
contest. there are times that i wish the turkey had won because of the
eagles warring qualities. oh well. not my choice.
mad

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced