Old 27-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Franz Heymann

Default How High is Your Neighbour's Hedge Allowed To Grow?

"seafuryfan" wrote in message
s.com...
Situation: We want to buy a house which we really like. The only
drawback is that there is a 12' high leylandi hedge, located about 12'
widthways from the back of the house. It more or less runs the entire
length and appears to be designed to obviously give privacy to a nearby
bungalow.

The hedge is situated (just) on the neighbour's property and appears to
be well trimmed. But it blocks out an awful lot of natural light to
the rear of the property in which we are interested.

Question: If we were to buy the house, would the neigbour be forced by
law in any way to reduce the height of the hedge to afford more natural
light onto our house? Oh, the property is in Northern Ireland.

Don.t buy the house. If you do, you are going to have either a garden with
reduced light or a neighbour who hates your guts.

Franz