Old 27-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Michael Berridge

Default How High is Your Neighbour's Hedge Allowed To Grow?

seafuryfan wrote in message
m...
Situation: We want to buy a house which we really like. The only
drawback is that there is a 12' high leylandi hedge, located about 12'
widthways from the back of the house. It more or less runs the entire
length and appears to be designed to obviously give privacy to a nearby
bungalow.

The hedge is situated (just) on the neighbour's property and appears to
be well trimmed. But it blocks out an awful lot of natural light to
the rear of the property in which we are interested.

Question: If we were to buy the house, would the neigbour be forced by
law in any way to reduce the height of the hedge to afford more natural
light onto our house? Oh, the property is in Northern Ireland.

There is to be a law introduced whereby, in the case of a dispute
between neighbours, a local council can intervene and reduce the height
of the hedge to 2m, however, as this hedge is there already I don't
think that will apply, even if it does in NI, because you bought the
house with the hedge 12' high. You could therefore, be assumed to
accepting it being there at that height.
I'm not a lawyer, but you really need to check this out very carefully.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk