Old 27-11-2003, 11:42 PM
paghat

Default Squirrel News

In article , "B & J"
wrote:

"LeeAnne" wrote in message
Gray Squirrels' Faulty Memories Help Forests

I wish their memories weren't so short. It would save me a lot of time if
they'd reclaim all the hickory nuts and black walnuts those beasts insist on
hauling in from the surrounding woods and burying in my flower beds. It's a
weekly chore removing all the seedling trees sprouting in them.

John

I had a walnut start growing underneath a stone bench & wondered if one of
the crows tossed it there (they drop walnuts from on high to break them &
many end up in the garden), but on reflection it is likely a squirrel
buried it. At the time when I spotted the little tree poking out of the
ground, I dug it out & put in a pot, but it died. :Later a hazel sprang up
in one of the gardens far from the Turkish hazel, & I transplanted that to
container but then failed to water it, I just can't do containers unless
something like horehound that doesn't mind if I don't get it watered
enough. This morning I went out to dig some worms for the salamanders on
the roadside so they could have a thanksgiving feast too, & I upturned
about five whole walnuts in a three foot radius of upturned turf, inserted
into fairly hard earth too. Not far from where the walnuts were buried is
a tulip bed, & there was one tulip bulb laying on the surface -- I've not
had problems with the squirrels digging up bulbs, & maybe I somehow
dropped that bulb myself & never noticed, but it was suspicious.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"