Old 28-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Emrys Davies

Default How High is Your Neighbour's Hedge Allowed To Grow?

I find it somewhat disturbing that, before you even buy the house, you
are considering whether the law will be sympathetic to you regarding a
nuisance hedge owned by a prospective neighbour.

This site gives you an insight into the proposed new law on the subject.
It is likely to be on your side, but what a start it would be to your
new life in a fresh environment when friendly supportive neighbours are
all important.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/news/highhedges.asp

Regards,
mrys Davies.

"seafuryfan" wrote in message
s.com...
Situation: We want to buy a house which we really like. The only
drawback is that there is a 12' high leylandi hedge, located about 12'
widthways from the back of the house. It more or less runs the entire
length and appears to be designed to obviously give privacy to a

nearby
bungalow.

The hedge is situated (just) on the neighbour's property and appears

be well trimmed. But it blocks out an awful lot of natural light to
the rear of the property in which we are interested.

Question: If we were to buy the house, would the neigbour be forced

by
law in any way to reduce the height of the hedge to afford more

natural
light onto our house? Oh, the property is in Northern Ireland.

Thanks for any replies,
--
seafuryfan
TF956