Old 28-11-2003, 08:32 AM
paghat

Default Carnivorous plants

In article ,
wrote:

My recommendation would be to foliar feed this plant, even through

winter if any
part of it stays evergreen in your region. It should bounce back, but I find
this particular family of plants appreciates colonization, rather than

specimen
settings. I think with regular foliar applications of seaweed it will

recover.
See if you can find other plants to form a colony in the same family and plant
them nearby.

Thanks, will try foliered seaweed, never heard of doing that. It does live
in a colony of sorts, but it's the only white trumpet sarracenia, the rest
of the grouping consists of very strong Purple Pitcher Plants which are
much shorter (almost prostrate) sarracenias, plus a single not-as-strong
hybrid called ladies-in-waiting which in two years has remained rather
dwarfed. They used to share the bog with a cobra plant but it sent out
runners & spread willynilly so I had to separate those into their own
little bog (the cobra was also racoon-trounced but bounced back with
extreme speed).

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:51:58 -0800,
(paghat)
opined:

I have a carniverous plant query so might as well insert it into this
existing thread. My White Topped Pitcher Plant got trampled to the ground
by a racoon a year ago & never fully recovered; it tried but did not
succeed in producing even one full trumpet this rest of the year. It's
still alive; it produced long tall unfinished trumpets, but they never got
to the point where it could "eat." The "rootball" is minimal & merely
anchors it, I don't believe it gets ANY nourishment from the soil. So, is
there any chance this plant may still bounce back next year? Without
having caught even one moth or bug, it seems it'll have to be even weaker
next year than it was this past year so is just doomed. It was so pretty
before the racoon got it. Will I have to give up & get another one
altogether??

-paghat

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: