Old 28-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Cerumen

Default Working with soil warming cables

"Michael Savage" wrote in
message .. .
Hi all

Didn't come up with answer on Google so here goes...

I've been lucky enough to be given some soil warming cable and a couple

of
old thermostats. However, the cable is 26m long! I am planning on making

2-3
propagators, cold frame heaters with it. Can I treat it like any other
electrical cable in terms of cutting, junctions etc or are there any

special
techniques I need to be aware of?

It can be cut and linked back together with normal cable but if you
discard any great length of the heating cable that will proportionally
decrease the resistance and increase the temperature it reaches so you
have to be very careful. All joints that you make must of course be
weather tight and suitable for out door use. Are you aware of what voltage
and current it is rated for?
Feel free to email me for further detailed advice, my reply to address
works.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork