Old 28-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Jim W

Default Desperately seeking a wall-climbing evergreen ivy.

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
th.net...
In article ,
says...
For the side of the house that needs constant painting. The wall in
question faces the rising sun and sits on clay soil. Can anyone

recommend
an evergreen ivy for this project?
Please help.

You don't mention what the wall material is. Be aware that
anything other than brick/stone/masonry is subject to
potential damage from the vine.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Triple Z is spam control.

Can English Ivy kill trees? I see some on some dead or dying trees around
here but I don't know if the Ivy killed the trees or they were already dead.

It won't kill trees... It CAN compete with trees for light and food if
it gets into the crown and becomes arborescent itself..

It WILL add 'sail' area to trees making them have a much greater weight
and wind resitancce than normal so any weak trees will be more likley to
fall or be blown over by strong winds..

IVY is not a thug, but SHOULD be treated with respect.

Noting your original post you may wish to check on suitability/tolerance
of cultivars to sun, as Ivy is originally a plant of UK European
woodlands. There are plenty of cultivars that will tolerate and thrive
in full sun once established though.

Jim