Old 28-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Desperately seeking a wall-climbing evergreen ivy.

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message

Can English Ivy kill trees? I see some on some dead or dying trees around
here but I don't know if the Ivy killed the trees or they were already

dead.

Given enough time and unchecked growth, yes, English ivy can kill trees. It
can form a canopy dense enough so that the tree is unable to photosythesize
properly, as well as rendering the tree top heavy and subject to increased
wind damage. It is a pretty common phenomenon here in the PNW, where English
ivy has invaded greenbelts and natural areas to a huge degree.

pam - gardengal