Old 29-11-2003, 12:28 AM
martin

Default eu regulations

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:04:42 GMT, lid
(Rodger Whitlock) wrote:

On 28 Nov 2003 12:17:58 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Nuke Whitehall. As with most such claims in the UK, it is almost
certainly a lie. The EU typically requires that a country has
appropriate regulations, Whitehall introduces some draconian ones
that have a huge bureacratic overhead, and then says "look what
the nasty EU made us do".

I can well remember when the EU was cutting its teeth on the
issue of regulation of consumer goods. We colonials were vastly
amused to read that Brussels felt that all condoms should be one
size, causing endless debates on "national character" and what
size would be appropriate.

I don't remember the details, but it was roughly one country
responding to the proposed standard size "That's way too small
for our virile populace" and another "Yigods, that's way too big
for any civilized country three generations beyond the jungle."

(I exaggerate, of course, but I'm sure you will all forgive me
indulging a favorite vice.)

What amazed me was that they didn't simply propose that the size,
measured in a standard manner, be printed on the packets, and let
the consumer choose for himself.

It was a joke and you got it wrong.

--
Martin