Old 29-11-2003, 03:32 AM
animaux

Default Cutting back perennials?

On 28 Nov 2003 06:10:05 -0800, (Cheryl) opined:

I'm wondering when I should cut back my perennials. I live in Zone 9
and some of them have new growth coming out from the base of the
plants. Will frost injure the new growth if I cut back this year's
growth?
Cheryl

I don't cut back my perennials just yet. For example, Mexican sage bush...it
has new growth at the base, but some scraggly growth left at the top. I don't
cut it back because, though it would look better, the top helps give the plant a
bit of protection from desiccating winds and frosts which can zap the new
growth. I cut no ornamental grasses back because they give me winter interest
and sound. Also, many migratory birds come through and eat the seeds, not to
mention mice and rats which eat the seeds. I should warn, I happen to love mice
and rats and I'm tolerant of their presence in our native habitat garden.

It really depends on your reasons for cutting things back, or a list of
particular plants would be helpful to answer the query of the frost issue.

Victoria