Old 29-11-2003, 04:24 PM
nanook

Default Insecticide and Neem Oil

Yes Neem Oil is good stuff. I have never had to use anything stronger
on my orchids than Neem and Physon.
When orchids are outside they get Neem every couple of weeks, then
near time to come in if there is any sign of bugs I give em a good
spray with insecticidal soap and maybe once more with Neem.
Even some grown plants I bought about a month ago had some scale, I
soaked the new media I was going to re pot them in with Pyhson and a
little Neem before re potting, washed the plants, killed all the
F$%#*ers I could by hand, sprayed the plants with Neem and haven't
seen a scale pop up yet. (they are still quarantined from the
propagation room and other full grown orchids until I am sure they are
ok.
As for the smell and Asthma, I am a suffer as well and it has not
given me any problems. I have inhaled the mist while spraying outside
in the wind. It tastes really really bad but did not make my throat
close up or start a coughing fit.
I start plants on it right out of flask(at a lower concentration than
an adult plant). That seems to keep anything from nibbling on those
baby fresh roots and shoots.
The smell does go away very quickly (yet my wife still complains)
If using outside, spray early so it dries before the sun gets to hot.
also like Ray said do not buy diluted, always get 100% pure.

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:16:09 GMT, "Shell"
wrote:

Is alcohol the safest to use to kill bugs in orchids? My Epi
pseudepidendrum has some kind of weird west texas bug living in the medium.
I plan to re-pot but I don't want any tiny livestock roaming around my
plants.

Also has anyone used Neem Oil? I keep seeing it on various web sites where
they use it like an insecticide and anti slug and snail solution.

Shell