Old 29-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Is it too late to plant bulbs?

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Janet Baraclough26/11/03 11:16

At our last place I tried to have red tulips naturalised in grass
among the white narcissi in the wildflower meadow, but that was a total
failure because they were in the deer zone and got scoffed as soon as
they appeared. I think I've read since that Prince Charles "naturalised"
meadow tulips at Highgrove are replanted regularly.

Cheating! But I wonder if we *can* naturalise them in this country.

Mirabel Osler describes doing so in her wonderful garden book " A
gentle plea for chaos", with seductive photograph of the result.
However, afair their tulip orchard was slopey and well drained
(Shropshire, I think).

Have spent three days trying to remember the author name and title so
I could post this; books still in boxes a year after house move,
screeeeeeaaaammmm :-(

Janet