Old 29-11-2003, 09:08 PM
PK

Default Banana plant *

Sacha wrote:
Phil Long29/11/03 12:35

snipAlso would it survive if it was planted
outside? I live in the Midlands.

No. It wouldn't survive with us in South Devon. I know of only one
person who has managed this and he has a very small, walled garden,
near the sea and with its own micro-climate - David Poole - a former
contributor to urg.

"Former" ... is he not here any more?

My musa basjoo has survived outdoors for the past 8 years (SW19)

Normally I wrap to 5ft, but last winter I decided I wanted it to die back to
ground level so left it unprotected. Despite some very hard and sustained
frosts which froze the outer layers of the pseudo stem, it started growing
again from 5ft as soon as the warmer weather started again in early spring.

Basjoo is root hardy, and will survive even very hard frosts with a modicum
of protection over the roots.

pk