Old 29-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Banana plant

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Phil Long" wrote in message
I have a banana plant grown from seed that is now about 7ft tall. Over

the
summer it grew well producing several large leaves. It now appears to

have
stopped growing and looks rather unsightly with a bare stem and three
yellowing leaves at the top. It is presently in a heated conservatory but

am considering hiding it away in the greenhouse and hoping it will survive
the winter.

I have been told that I could cut the stem at the base and new growth will
appear next spring. This seems rather too good to be true! Does anyone
have any experience of this? Also would it survive if it was planted
outside? I live in the Midlands.

My memory says that the banana growers in South Africa cut the plants down
to ground level every third year in order to encourage fruiting.

Not the same variety though. This one was grown from seed......

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)