Old 29-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Shell

Default Digital Camera Question

Sounds like a really nice camera

Shell

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Thanks, everyone. Now some responses from me:

Now if I coud just figure out a way keep my hands from shaking when I'm
trying to take a picture

That's why we like the idea of the optical image stabilizer!

Then you are interested in the optics. What can the optics do in

close-range situations? I have a separate macro button on my digital
camera. You may want to have something similar.

The camera in question has a macro button, along with a bunch of other
optional modes. Or, it can be used as simply point and shoot.

Also check the price of the memory solutions. How much does it cost to

buy extra storage for this camera compared to others? Digital cameras
are usually equipped with a joke of a storage chip

Yeah, I know. Frank checked, and the cost is not prohibitive.

I'm not familiar with that one either, though I'd have to ask how much

of that 12x zoom is optical? If that represents 4x optical and 3x digital,
the digital multiplier isn't really useful when it comes to closeups.

Actually, I underestimated the zoom. The 12x is all optical. Capability
with digital is 36x. Sounds great.

Did you compare its pictures side by side with other cameras (and even

your
old one) on the 'Amazing Comparometer? Why anyone would consider a

purchase
and *not* look at actual images the camera produces is beyond me.

Thanks for that URL; I was not aware of it. However, this camera isn't

up
there yet. Not surprising, since it just came out in October. Frank

found
a couple of places where he could view photos taken with it. Pretty

grand,
especially compared to our old one, which is 6 or 7 years old.

Look out for the optical & digital ,optical is actually the photo you

viewed
& took ,all digital is basically the image zoomed.The higher the optical
lens the better!Also remember that higher mpix wont always give you the
better quality pic.

It has 4 mp; see above for optical specs.

I heard that the pentax optio 555 is really great. Lets u take really

close
macro shots and 3D shots too.

I checked that out as you suggested. It's a neat one, too.

To sum up on my end, as Frank did more checking he found that this model

is
jumping off the shelves. Based on what I've seen, I'm not surprised. As

said originally, I know there are better cameras out there, but we can't
justify the prices. Especially since we need to upgrade one of our
computers, too. My laptop is fine, but our IBM needs replacing. You do

the
numbers!

Thanks again, everyone. RGO came through as usual.

Diana