Old 30-11-2003, 11:35 AM

Default Jane finds her garden:brick wall question

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
: The message
: from Jane Lumley contains these words:
:
: Thanks so much to all for your help - we've found a house with an acre
: of land.... but I'm not saying any more in case one of you gazumps me!
: .
:
: Thing is, said acre is currently rather exposed to wind and traffic
: noise, so dh and I are eager to make a walled garden by building brick
: walls around at least part of it. Are we mad?
:
: I've looked at several
: websites and the art of bricklaying seems very jargon laden. Does
: anyone know of a site in plain English? And has anyone ever done one of
: those night-school bricklaying courses?
:
: Try ex-urgler cormaic's site, www.pavingexpert.
:
: We moved (from a rural garden well over 3 acres) partly because of
: rapidly increasing traffic noise and nuisance. In our situation, it was
: mostly tourist traffic; IOW, it was at its worst at exactly the times we
: wanted to be outside enjoying the garden, in good weather and all
: holiday periods.
:
: Is this industrial traffic (might be quieter at weekends)? Sports or
: tourist-attraction traffic, could be worse at weekends? You're seeing it
: in winter; is it likely to be quieter now than in summer? Visit the area
: during rush hours. Do people chug past in a slow tail of traffic at 30
: mph, or race past at 70? Can you get in and out of the gate safely at
: busy times? Is the traffic mostly cars, or huge reverberating trucks?
: Shut yourself in the bedrooms, listen to the noise, and ask yourself if
: you'll be able to sleep with a window open.
:
: I'd think very, very hard if I were you, about what you want from your
: garden and what you can tolerate. IMHO you won't shut out traffic noise
: or fumes from one acre, with a wall (or anything else).
:
: Janet.
:
I would agree with Janet. We live in a suburban cul-de-sac approx 5 miles
from Heathrow. We obviously get a certain amount of aircraft noise and if
the wind is in a certain direction and they are using a certain runway, the
planes take off overhead which can be unbearable - but better now that
Concorde is no longer with us - but does not happen too often. However, my
point is that we always say we prefer to live here than on a road that has
constant traffic noise day and night. Mind you, we may feel differently
when we get the 5th terminal, 3rd runway, etc etc.......