Old 30-11-2003, 06:12 PM
jane

Default OT. new antispam laws in the US

The message
from "K" contains these words:
~
~ I gave up Mailwasher and other freebies for the same reasons. It tried to
~ treat as spam my DH's daily bulletin from his running club - he would not
~ have been a happy bunny. I find it just as quick and easy to delete the
~ spam without opening them. The majority I (and presumably anyone) can tell
~ are spam and the others I just have a quick look without opening via
~ 'Properties' etc.
~ Perhaps I don't get as many as others, but this method takes seconds.

I was finding upwards of 250 a day. I filtered them within Agent, but
couldn't get filter *all* of the nasties, and since some of the
subject lines turn my stomach, I was getting to the point where I just
had to do something. Yes I delete without opening, knowing nothing
will be automatically run or decoded, but it still means you have to
read the offensive filth which is fit only for my compost heap in the
subject lines. Hence my original question and now my experiment.

The thing I like about Mailwasher is that you can feed in trusted
addresses: your running club mail should take one click to register as
friendly and then it would always get through. It filters the friends
first, which is why I didn't really start counting till today, after
I'd checked all my friends were registered.

I am much obliged to Martin for pointing me in its direction.

obGardening: pulled a pound of late carrots today!

--
jane

Mark Twain