Old 30-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Michael Gerzog

Default Blooming Size

"Ray" wrote in message ...

As another example, I occasionally buy seedlings from H&R in Hawaii. For
them, a plant in a 2" pot may very well be "NBS" and may bloom in a matter
of months, while for me in Pennsylvania, it could be a year or more out for
the same seedling.

It also depends on your definitions. I've always understood "blooming
size" to mean it should flower on the next growth or in season, which
may well be up to a year from purchase. And NBS, of course, is
younger still, usually 18-24 months from probable flowering age/size.
But otherwise I agree with what you've said -- it's kind of like
someone asking "when to water" (the answer of course is when the plant
needs it). Without experience, there is no way to judge for yourself
how long the plant will take to flower in your conditions, and even
then, there are always surprises. If you find you can't trust a
grower's description (as a rough guide, of course) and consider it
important information, you need to find (a) new source(s).

MG