Old 30-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Rhynchostylis care questions

Sarah: If the leaves are wide and thick, and esp. if the plant is spiking
or flowering now, it's probably gigantea. Rhy. coelestis is a
summer-bloomer and looks more like a "typical" vanda; retusa is far less
common. I suspect you can find pics of all 3 on Jay Pfahl's Orchid
Encyclopedia site and ID it, even if it's not in bloom.

Assuming it's gigantea: we give these a lot less light than most of our
vandaceous, and they are also one of the few vandaceous that we sometimes
pot, rather than leaving bare in the basket. They will grow either way
here, but the potted ones seem to do a little better. Our potting medium is
coarse [big chunks] lava rock with a bit of coconut fiber layered in.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Sarah Huff" wrote in message
I wish I knew. It doesn't have a tag.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Which Rhynchostylis? We treat gigantea rather differently than we treat
coelestis, and haven't yet tried retusa.