Old 01-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Gary Woods

Default Bees

"On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:53:32 -0000, you wrote:

Yes. I'm in UK but have met Prof. Morse. Mind you, I still prefer the
simplicity of my mentor's words!

Good guy. I took a beekeeping short course at Cornell eons ago, supervised
by him.

You know the one about not moving bees more than three feet?

Not directly, unless you also mean that they have to be moved much more
than that to make them re-learn the hive's location.

I did occasionally swap a strong itching-to-swarm hive with a nucleus,
which sometimes worked...

And I enjoyed one commercial pollinator's tribulations: He put the
beehives into fields of blueberries, but had to shift them after a few days
to a week when they figured out that there was much sweeter nectar
available on the hedgerows...

I've got to get sorting and testing some stored seeds. It's something to
do while I wait for spring.... The Kiwis in the group are really starting
to annoy me... I'll get over it. Some time in April.