Old 01-12-2003, 04:22 AM
David J Bockman

Default Lacebark elm sources

'Athena' is listed he

http://www.foothillsnursery.com/index.htm

Dave

"Edson" wrote in message
om...
"Hank" wrote in message

news:Advxb.325906$HS4.2831534@attbi_s01...

You should consider 'Allee' or 'Athena' Chinese elms. they are

beautiful, trouble-free trees.

'Allee' sounds like it would be too big, but 'Athena' would fit the
bill nicely. Of course, I haven't had much luck finding a good retail
source for that one either.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I did find that there's some naming confusion. Some sources use the
name ulmus parviFLORA, as opposed to parviFOLIA ("little
flowers"/"little leaves"). Add to that the common name of lacebark vs.
Chinese elm, and the fact that there's another species sometimes
referred to as Chinese elm, and it's no wonder good info is hard to
come by. Even the 'Athena' cultivar goes by 'Emerald Vase' or 'Emer I'
in some places.

I have some possible local leads. Hopefully they'll pan out. Otherwise
maybe I'll start looking for some other cool medium-sized trees
instead...