Old 01-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Jane Ransom

Default puzzling purple bush

In article 1g59gff.2pzi8tcluq36N%00senetnospamtodayta@macunl imited.net
, Jim W writes
jane wrote:

I have a little puzzle for everyone.

In the summer (end July) I was given a seedling from an unusual plant.
The donor had no idea of its name.
The seedling is currently thriving in a pot, is outside though has not
yet lost any leaves, and is growing a single stem upwards.

Leycestria formosa?... Pheasant berry.. (this IS in the RHS encylo
BTW-)

You will need to move it into the ground soon. That stem will grow to
about eight feet!! Additionally, lots of other stems will come up from
the bottom - bit like bamboo. We usually cut out all the stems of two
years or more to keep the plant under control and flowering freely.
The berries are loved by birds and you will find seedlings coming up all
over the place - so it isn't that unusual!!!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.