Old 01-12-2003, 03:32 PM
KR

Default Compost pile and "treated wood"

I would strongly suggest using untreated wood (cedar, spruce, redwood) or another material, plastic etc, if you are constructing a composter. Most likely you don't want your compost contaminated with arsenic; you can now find non-CCA treated wood on the ma
rket, but even that contains high levels of copper, which you probably don't want leaching into your compost either. Copper is needed by plants in small amounts, but when it builds up in the soil it can cause disease like symptoms in plants; arsenic is tox
ic to humans and stunts the growth of plants, and in CCA it is paired with chromium, which can cause liver damage.

Regards - krnntp

Ignoramus15011 wrote:

Can I make the walls for my compost pile from "green treated" or
"wolmanized" wood. Or would the wood leech dangerous chemicals into
the compost?