Old 01-12-2003, 05:42 PM
Jim S

Default Greenhouse Electric Heater

10ºF where the heck are you growing orchids?

i worrry about it getting below 50ºf for more than a couple of days

Jim
"Ray" wrote in message
I had a 220V supplemental heater in a 14 x 14 GH when I lived in coastal

SC.
I also had about a dozen 55-gallon black steel drums full of water as
passive solar heat storage, so could afford the electricity. I would
recommend against electricity otherwise, and push for a propane heater.

Doing a bit of a "back of the envelope" calculation, if we assume
floor-to-ceiling glass, 6-foot tall walls, and a peaked roof, you've got
something in the vicinity of 384 square feet of glass to lose heat

through.
Assuming an outdoor minimum of 10°F, and interior 55°, you'll need about a
20,000 BTU gas heater, or about a 6000W electric heater.

The Marley would probably do fine, but assuming it would need to run for
12-18 hours a day, you're talking 67 to -100 KWH/day clocking on that
electric meter!

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Bobby Baxter" wrote in message
. com...
Is anyone familiar with the Marley 240v Electric Heater for a

greenhouse?
Any comments on this model? Can you recommend a different heater if you
feel this not adequate?
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/acce...heaters2.shtml

I am currently putting up an 8 1/2" x 12" glass greenhouse and this

model
is
the one that I found on the internet that I believe will be the best

value
to do the job. I am in central North Carolina, zone 7b, and we do get

winter
temps in the teens a few times during the cold spells.

Thank you,
Bobby
--
Bobby Baxter