Old 01-12-2003, 11:16 PM
jane

Default puzzling purple bush

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:00:50 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

~In article 1g59gff.2pzi8tcluq36N%00senetnospamtodayta@macunl imited.net
~, Jim W writes
~jane wrote:
~
~ I have a little puzzle for everyone.
~
~ In the summer (end July) I was given a seedling from an unusual plant.
~ The donor had no idea of its name.
~ The seedling is currently thriving in a pot, is outside though has not
~ yet lost any leaves, and is growing a single stem upwards.
~
~Leycestria formosa?... Pheasant berry.. (this IS in the RHS encylo
~BTW-)

~
~You will need to move it into the ground soon. That stem will grow to
~about eight feet!! Additionally, lots of other stems will come up from
~the bottom - bit like bamboo. We usually cut out all the stems of two
~years or more to keep the plant under control and flowering freely.
~The berries are loved by birds and you will find seedlings coming up all
~over the place - so it isn't that unusual!!!!!!!!

THANKYOU BOTH!!!!!
Yes, it's in the book ... just not illustrated in the colour-coded
identification section of my oldish edition!!!

Wonderful - a bird bush. Just what I need. I know exactly where that's
going to go... besides the buddleia globosa so I can attract
butterflies and birds both :-) though I guess mine will be slightly
hard done by as full sun isn't available in the shrub section. Still,
it's got two chances...

I guess the definition of unusual is something you personally haven't
come across before. :-)

--
jane

Mark Twain